were formed in 1946 and seem to have ceased most
activity by mid 1955, although a later date of 1957 has
The history of the Rugby Morris Men has
been gathered from several sources.
The scrapbook of the late Jim Marsden
[formerly of Rugby Morris Men and then
founder member and Squire of the first Cardiff
In retirement, he lived in Sharnbrook, Bedfordshire.
The scrapbook came into the BMM Archive's care on his
copy with commentary is available as BMM Archive Report
Geoff Mendham, then a “senior” member of the Jockey
Morris Men of Birmingham, but who had been a founder
member of Rugby Morris Men, provided recollections of
the early days of the Rugby Men, together with some
The Logbook of the Rugby Morris Men,
donated to the Morris Ring by Pat Robbins,
a former member of and musician for the Side,
who had preserved it and various other items.
He generously provided these for research,
recording and safe-keeping They are held for the present
by BMM. A
summary "Record of Activities" has been created.
It includes a list of dancing and other events from 1946
when the Side was formed to 1955 by which time the Side
was no longer active.
This is available as BMM Archive Report No. 3.
Mrs. Robbins provided additional photographs,
recollections and items of Rugby Morris kit.
Further information and cuttings were obtained from
the Scrapbooks of Gordon Ridgewell [formerly of Standon
A Booklet on the History of Rugby Morris Men
has been published, based on these documents and other
archive material. It was launched to accompany the
art exhibition by Faye Claridge at
Rugby Art Gallery and
Museum with a Morris Dance theme, together with a
small museum exhibit, and also a supporting
lecture on the Rugby Morris Men on 26 January 2011.
See original event POSTER.
of the Rugby Morris
Contact John Frearson - Email: